I am just out the door for another birding excursion, but I thought i'd post something to break up my neglect of the blog...The last week or so I have been working the hummingbird feeders that have been established for about 3 months here at Tambor tropical. The activity has come to be more then I had expected with eight species visiting the feeders daily, including the endangered and extremely range restricted (only CR) Mangrove hummingbird. I have been working on a technique to photograph hummingbirds using only natural light. Most professional hummingbird photography is done with 4 flashes or more. The flashes make it possible to freeze the wings, which beat at up to 80 times per second. I selected flowers that I knew the hummingbirds liked and placed them near to the feeders. I then set-up the shot from a tripod and a cable release to trigger the camera when the bird flew into the flower.
 |
| Cinnamon hummingbird |
 |
| Rufous-tailed hummingbird |
 |
| Cinnamon hummingbird |
 |
| Green-breasted Mango (male) |
I will try to post more images when I get back from my trip. We are going to visit the Poas volcano and surrounding rainforest where I hope to find my 300th Costa Rican species.
Cheers,
-Nick
Incredible pictures Nick! Thanks for such detail in your blog, I feel like I am living in CR, but then when I am done reading, I look up, and I am still on the couch. Great work!
ReplyDelete